- For Beer and The Bible: One Hundred Years at the Lutheran Church of Honolulu 1900-2000
- The Structure of the Missionary Call to the Sandwich Islands: 1790-1830: Sojourners Among Strangers
- History of the Macadamia Nut Industry in Hawai‘i 1881-1981: From Bush Nut to Gourmet’s Delight
- Ships, Furs, and Sandalwood: A Yankee Trader in Hawai‘i 1823-1825
Articles in Forum on Public Policy: A Journal of the Oxford Round Table
- “Birth, Marriage, Honor & Poverty: Ramifications of Traditional Hindu Culture & Custom on Modern Indian Women.”
- “Looking Through Shattered Glass: The Career Trajectories of Carly Fiorina and Indra Nooyi.”
- Common Denominators in Successful Female Statecraft: The Political Legacies of Queen Elizabeth I, Indira Gandhi, and Margaret Thatcher
Articles Published Elsewhere
- “Effect of World War I on the German Community in Hawaii.”
- “Mission & Motivation: The Theology of the Early American Mission in Hawaii.”
- “When Unity is Torn Asunder: The Distressing Case of Thomas & Lucia Holman.”
Missionaries in Hawai‘i: The Lives of Peter and Fanny Gulick, 1797-1883. By Clifford Putney The New England Quarterly. March 2011
- Possessing the Pacific: Land, Settlers, and Indigenous People from Australia to Alaska. By Stuart Banner
- The Historian. 72:1. 243-244. Spring 2010
- Honolulu: The First Century.
- By Gavan Daws
Hawaiian Journal of History. 42. 2008
- Leaving Paradise: Indigenous Hawaiians in the Pacific Northwest 1787-1898.
By Jean Barman and Bruce McIntyre Watson
Pacific Historical Review. 76:4. 2007
- North American Foreign Missions, 1810-1914: Theology, Theory, and Policy.
William R. Shenk (editor)
American Historical Review. 111:1. 2006
- Pacific Pioneers: Japanese Journeys to America and Hawaii 1850-80.
By John E. Van Sant
Journal of American Ethnic History. 20:4. 2001
- The Shipmans of East Hawaii.
By Emmett Cahill
Hawaiian Journal of History. 31. 1997
- Kona Echo: A Biography of Dr. Harvey Saburo Hayashi.
By Jiro Nakano, M.D.
Hawaiian Journal of History. 25. 1991
- Paths of Duty: American Missionary Wives in Nineteenth-Century Hawaii.
By Patricia Grimshaw
Hawaiian Journal of History. 24. 1990
- The Bishop’s Progress: A Historical Ethnography of Catholic Missionary Experiences on the Sepik Frontier.
By Mary Taylor Huber
American Anthropologist. 90:4. 1988